Sing a Song


Let me introduce "Sing a Song".

This card is for day 19 of the Random Act of Cardness at Scrap'n Stamp. Today's prompt word is "Chill". For a chill look I am using cold colours for this card.
Starting first with my alcohol ink background as I wanted this to dry overnight. I used Alcohol Pearl ink in Tranquil and Alcohol Ink in Amesyth, along with blending solution for this piece.

The cardstock is Ranger glossy card which is 4.25 x 5.5.

To stamp the Cardinal I used Ranger Ink in red geranium on Arches Cold Press watercolour paper. To watercolour I am using my Escoda #8 watercolour brush. I rinsed my brush and began picking up the colours I wanted to use from my work surface.
I put down the colours of distress inks that I was using to paint the Cardinal, being Scattered Straw, Wild Honey, Candied Apple, Crackling Campfire and Barn Door.

First I applied the scattered straw, then while still wet added in the wild honey. I did not allow the inks to dry from this point forward, keeping everything wet for ease of blending.
I am not worried that I am going outside the lines as I will be cutting this image out using my Scan'n Cut, which will give me a lovely fussy cut.

I continued painting, adding more layers of the straw and honey, then added my first layer of crackling campfire. I love this colour, which has the orange hues in it. It is perfect for my layering process and perfect for the Cardinal's beak.
Once I was happy with the layers up until this point I allowed the piece to dry. While waiting I painted in the claws using a mix of the campfire and scattered straw.

When dry I started to add the layers for my final colour, being the barn door. I let the layers dry between applications, to get that darker red I wanted.Moving to the tail feathers you will note they are darker than the rest of the bird. This is because the tail will be in a shadow hence they will appear darker.

 For this I put down black soot on my work surface then wet my brush before picking up the colour and laying down the light version of black soot across the tail feathers. 

I let it sit for about 10 seconds then applied a dry paper towel to the feathers. 

This removes some of the soot, leaving a perfect shading.

I ran the bird through my Scan'n Cut as there is no die for these birds and I wanted a clean cut. I then went around the edges with a red marker to remove the white card.

Now came the fun part. To my turquoise card base I attached the alcohol ink background using Nuvo adhesive. I then splattered the piece using the Sterling Alloy alcohol ink.The Leaf Frame is cut from Yupo paper as I did not want the stark white of Neenah. The frame is glued to the background using Nuvo adhesive glue.

I die cut the label from Hammermill cardstock and stamped the sentiment using Ranger Archival ink in Jet Black.Finishing up my card, I styled the Cardinal and attached to the background using foam squares. I then added foam strips to the back of the sentiment and attached it under the claws of the bird.

Just above the birds head I attached a few sequin snowflakes from Studio Katia.

This card took a lot of time, but so worth the final results I think. I hope you have enjoyed the process, and thank you for your visit.

Following are Affiliate links for the products I used for this card, at no extra cost to you.


xoxo, Kia